Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Road Trip to the Dirty Dirty!









Aaron and Chan are so stinkin' cute!

Chris and I took a road trip down south with our amazing friends, Aaron and Chanary. Aaron went to school in Nashville (Vanderbilt- not too shabby!) so he doubled as our tour guide and native southern gentleman for the weekend. Our trip was planned by two engineers, thus had a tight schedule down to the minute. To our surprise, we did everything on our itinerary and more! Our first stop was at the Opryland Resort. It is a sprawling set of hotels and atriums that encase restaurants, bars, shops, and a river that winds through it. It feels disneyland-esque, causing you to forget you are indoors altogether.
































Some Southern Hospitality!

We walked around the Opryland for hours and then dinned at a place with more taxidermy than tables. We ate catfish and fried green tomatoes. Everyone I met was polite and greeted you with a smile. Nashville was starting to grow on me.
We went to the Grand Ole Opry that night. It was better than I imagined it to be. The bands were all different and many were artist I knew, like Craig Morgan and Vince Gill. The thing I liked the most was that they all played together and seemed like a family, instead of rivaling musicians.
The next day we headed out to Lynchburg, Tennessee to tour the Jack Daniels Distillery. Lynchburg is a dry county but is home to the oldest distillery in the United States. As soon as you got out of the car you could smell the strong scent of whisky in the air. Aaron, being a big fan of Jack's work, was in heaven. We learned all about old Jack and how he crafted his number 7 whisky. I am a little embarrassed to say that I am not fan of the stuff myself, but after taking the tour I have a great appreciation for the people who make it and the pride and hardwork they put into it to make their perfect product.




The Distillery
















Learning how to get my whisky on.





This is where they burn the wood to make charcoal.
The group with Jack!!

No comments:

Post a Comment